DEI Spotlight: National Hispanic Heritage Month – Stephanie Finnel
Finance Committee Chair
Current title, place of employment, length of tenure:
- Principal Data Scientist, Aetna, Since January 2022
Personal info (family, hobbies, exciting accomplishments):
- I live in Moorestown, NJ, with my husband, my 3-year-old son, and my 1-year-old daughter.
- Professionally, my biggest accomplishment is developing a pilot program to offer medication management for seniors receiving home healthcare. I enjoy trying new recipes, jigsaw puzzles, and dancing salsa and merengue.
Educational background or certifications:
- BA in Economics and Mathematics at Yale University; PhD and MS in Marketing at The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
How I started in healthcare:
- My favorite project in graduate school focused on understanding the drivers of adherence to medication regimens. Figuring out why people do not take medications as directed was a challenge, but I enjoyed it because I knew the result would make a difference in the lives of patients. Thus, when the time came to look for a job, I sought opportunities in healthcare. My first healthcare role was at BAY ADA Home Health Care.
Personal & Professional Interests:
- Data science, statistics, behavioral economics, cooking, puzzles, Latin dancing
Why is DEI important to you:
- I am a Mexican American who grew up in the U.S. and Mexico. Having two cultures has enriched my life in countless ways. For this reason, I want my children to grow up in a world that celebrates diverse backgrounds and perspectives.